Class of 2017: DCHS declassified school survival guide

The+David+City+High+School+Class+of+2017+graduates+on+Sat.%2C+May+13.+Commencement+will+begin+at+4+p.m.+in+the+DCHS+Activity+Center.+
The David City High School Class of 2017 graduates on Sat., May 13. Commencement will begin at 4 p.m. in the DCHS Activity Center.

Olivia Couch

Olivia Couch

Kasey Stallbaum

Colby Adkisson-Lauterbach

The best advice that I would give to the underclassmen would be not to disrespect the teachers. When you disrespect the teachers, it makes the year feel like it’s never going to end.

Brandy Barlean

My advice for underclassmen is to live it up in high school. Actually go out and do things, don’t just lay in your bed and watch Netflix everyday. Also, go to sporting events and activities. Those are the most fun memories that I have in high school, and it’s good to support your classmates. They’ll appreciate it more than you think. It’ll go a lot faster than you think!

Amber Belt

Try all four years of your high school career and stay involved with more than one activity.

Lee Betzen

Don’t create nor get involved in any sort of drama, you’re welcome.

Angela Boswell

My advice to the underclassman is to make sure you are on time to class so you don’t have to stay after school or miss lunch with your friends because you have to make time up.

Miranda Bowen

Advice to the lowerclassmen: Don’t dwell on the little things that might “ruin” your day. You are the person in charge of your emotions. In charge of how things affect you. If you let one thing ruin your day, then nothing will brighten it. You have to want your mood to change. Everything people do or say to you in high school you’ll most likely never experience it again. If people are annoying or bothering, ignore them. They won’t stop till you do. Don’t let what other people do be your decision to do things. Don’t be a follower, but a leader. Don’t go into peer pressure because “it’s the cool thing”; it won’t be cool if you end up hurt or in danger. Lastly, think of your parents. They might be on your butt about homework or classwork but they ARE helping you. Even if you don’t see it now freshmen, your parents will become your realest friends.

Shay Carstens

The only advice I can give the underclassmen is to not get in trouble every day and catch attitudes with teachers.

Rafael Chavez

My advice would be do a lot of activities so that school year can go by faster!

Allison Craig

Keep calm and study hard.

Destiny Cunningham

“Every person you meet knows something you don’t; learn from them.” – H Jackson Brown Jr.

Be kind to everyone you meet.

Coy Dasher

Do not miss school if you’re not sick, or not just because you have a headache.

Matthew Dietrich

Don’t let other people tell you what kind of person you should be.

Kaylyn Dubbs

Do not get into drama. If the problem doesn’t involve you, don’t get involved. As tempting as it seems to get in a conflict, mediate, take sides, and try to resolve it, it just isn’t worth it. It may give you enemies, it is a huge waste of time, and it produces no benefits for you.

Mikhayla Farmer

Make friends, a lot of friends. Having people around you helps you get through the day. School gets hard, and it is always good to have friends. Also, try not to make your teachers mad, one day you may need them again.

Kyle Fiala

My advice to the underclassmen is to get plenty of sleep. Sleep is one of the key factors to helping you learn. I know that because of lack of sleep, I did not pay attention that much in school. Also, be sure to choose classes you like because if you are like me, you will have almost all of your core classes done by the beginning of senior year. Another thing you will need to think about doing senior year is work release. If you do work release it makes your day go by so much faster. If I were you I would pay attention because you’re going to wish you did better in high school guys.

Evan Forney

Always try out the extracurriculars you might be interested in. If you work hard and don’t make excuses, you’ll find success in what you do.

Obet Frias-Perez

The most important advice to the underclassmen is to to do your homework. I’m going to be honest, I barely did my homework these last four years, and I got to say that those were the hardest four years of my life. So just get your homework done on time so you don’t struggle a lot.

Destiny Grapevine

Keep your room clean so you don’t have to stress about not being able to find anything and do your laundry regularly.

Damian Hansen

Focus on school.

Kylie Hascall

Always set a minimum of four alarms to wake up; the first three will not cut it by the end of the year.

Kennedy Hecker

Respect your teachers, no matter how stressed out they make you.

Kaylyn Ibsgaard

A piece of advice I would give to underclassmen is make sure that you do your homework. Even if it is not graded still do it because it is good practice, and it lets you know how well you know the material.

Allie Ingwersen

Some advice for the underclassmen to survive high school is simply this: Have fun, don’t procrastinate, try different activities, and don’t be a bully. #i’mout

Justin Johnson

The dress was blue and black.

Ross Kirby

Either high school can be the best four years of your life or the worst, it’s all about your effort and attitude. The better your attitude and effort, the more fun high school will be for you.

Nathan Kovar

Confidence, persistence, and a positive attitude are MUSTS to survive high school. Without these key aspects, you’ll find yourself crashing and burning halfway through high school. Keep the procrastination to a minimum and stay positive because things do get better!

Joe Lance

Don’t stress about the things you can’t control. Not everything will go the way you want it, but don’t dwell on the past. Always move forward and just know, when things go bad, it can only get better from then on. Make your time here count cause it goes by faster than you can imagine.

Jordan Lawrence

Try and enjoy it as much as you can.

Matthew Lewis

If you don’t know it, just wing it.

Rebecca Meusch

The best piece of advice I would like to offer to underclassmen is to get involved. Participating in some of the extracurricular activities that high school has to offer will only come once in a lifetime. Join a sport or club that you are afraid to because competing at this level will never come again. Don’t be afraid to have fun and meet a ton of new people along the way too. You will find a connection with the people you meet later on down the road. Also, don’t get too hung up on relationships in high school. Be sure to make time for your friends. High school is one of the most fun and easiest parts of your life, because before you know it, you will have to go out into the real world and nothing will ever be like high school again.

Rebel Moore

If you didn’t hear it with your own ears or see it with your own eyes, don’t invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth.

Neil Nickolite

Probably the most valuable thing I have learned in high school has been to think about things positively and to think about your actions. Be someone who is a good role model that people can actually look up to.

Parth Patel

Walk your own path, not someone else’s.

Logan Petersen

Kelsey Pierce

On the first day of school, take a chance and form friends. The friends you make will either make or break the rest of your high school life. Stay true to yourself and to your friends. Never change yourself to fit in. If you’re not accepted the way you are, then find new friends.

Jenna Pitzer

My advice would be to try your very best, even though it seems really difficult. Hard work will pay off. Also, DO NOT procrastinate, it will add to the stress you will have throughout the later years of high school. My most important piece of advice: Don’t care what others say about you. if you try and be what everyone else is, your life will be miserable. Find good friends that can help you achieve your goals.  

Iris Prochaska

Be a nice human.

Calista Ratkovec

Michael Rocha Morales

May your coming years be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you’re wonderful. Don’t forget to make some art, write, draw, build, sing, or live as only you can. I hope some time in the next year you surprise yourself with academics or athletics.

Kasey Stallbaum

Don’t let fear stop you from stepping outside of your comfort zone. High school is a time for personal growth and learning. Take chances and wait for the outcome; don’t let the fear of rejection or embarrassment stop you from trying new things. Also, participate! Sit in the student section at the football games. Go to Prom. Dress up for Spirit Week. Experience high school. These are the events you are going to look back on and remember.  Make it a priority to attend games, concerts, and plays. Your classmates and friends work hard in these areas, and your support means more to them than you realize. Lastly, appreciate your parents. They may annoy you sometimes, but they will always be your biggest supporters and your go-to people.

Natalie Stewart

Don’t take anything for granted. Graduation comes faster than you think.

Ashley Stroebel

Times get tough and it feels like nothing is going right. That is when you need to keep fighting on and you’ll get through it.

Joshua Sturgeon

The only advice that I can really give is to not procrastinate. Everybody has different preferences for doing things, but none of it will work out if you put it off until the last minute.

Landon Sweeney

Take your grades seriously your freshman and sophomore year. If you ruin your GPA early, it is almost impossible to get it back up to par in your junior and senior years.

Savannah Syring

Colten Thege

One piece of advice I would have to give to the underclassmen is to always try your best and ask as many questions as possible.

Daniel White

Follow your passion, stay true to yourself, never follow someone else’s path unless you’re in the woods and you’re lost and you see a path, then by all means you should follow that.

Ryan Worm

Get involved and have as much fun as possible because high school goes by fast.

• Class of 2017: DCHS declassified school survival guide

2017 Alumni Dinner

State Track 2017

DCPS teachers say their goodbyes after 30 years of service

2016-17 School Year

Three Scout athletes earn spots at State Track

05.17.2017

Opinion

Column: Junior year blues

05.16.2017

Class of 2017 Graduation

News

Annual FFA Barnyard educates young students