Golfers fall by one shot in playoff at DC Invite

Sophomore Will Danielson lines up his putt on his last hole. Danielson shot a 47 on the front nine and a 36 on the back nine, landing him fifth.

Renee Backstrom

Finishing the day with a playoff with Cross County, the David City High School golf team ended the day with a second place trophy at the DC Invite on Wed., Apr.19.

The teams who attended were Cedar Bluffs, Cross County, Friend, Heartland, Humphrey St. Francis, Osceola, Shelby/Rising City, Stanton, and Twin River.

“I felt that the golf team competed very hard throughout the day,” Coach Tom VanWinkle said. “Our front nine score was not as good as we thought it would be, but each golfer lowered their back nine score to give us a chance at the team title. We just came up one shot short of winning it.”

The top four golfers whose scores counted for their team had to golf off for the win. The Cougars and Scouts tied at 358. The four golfers taking part in the playoff were senior Landon Sweeney and sophomores Will Danielson, Wiley Hein, and Noah Styskal.

“I felt like overall we did pretty well,” Danielson said. “The front 9 was rough for some of us, but it was nice to see us bring ourselves together and compete on the back nine. It was a bummer that we tied Cross County and lost in the playoff, but that was really good experience for some of our new guys to have that much pressure on them in case it happens at Districts.”

Sweeney took fourth with an 81 and Danielson took fifth with an 83. Other individual scores were Styskal with a 101 and Hein with a 93.

“We played alright, we could have done a bit better as as whole, but we will work at it throughout the year,” Sweeney said. “Individually, I played well. I shot a 39 on the front and a 42 on the back. I feel I played good but not to the best of my ability. There were mistakes that need smoothed out, but I will work on it throughout the year and get better.”

On April 26 they golfed at Palmyra and got fifth as a team. You will see the golfers next at the Scotus Triangular on Mon., May 1, Conference at Fillmore Central on Thurs., May 4, Fullerton Invite on Tues., May 9, and finally Districts on Tues., May 16.

“I would like to thank each of the ten golfers and five managers that are competing and working on their skills this season, and it has been awesome seeing how much that they have improved so far,” VanWinkle said.

• Golfers fall by one shot in playoff at DC Invite

2017 Alumni Dinner

State Track 2017

DCPS teachers say their goodbyes after 30 years of service

2016-17 School Year

Three Scout athletes earn spots at State Track

05.17.2017

Opinion

Column: Junior year blues

05.16.2017

Class of 2017 Graduation

News

Annual FFA Barnyard educates young students