David City dances together at first Spring Spectacular

Seniors Kelsey Sumner, Lizzie DeWispelare, Kasey Stallbaum, Allie Ingwersen, and Brandy Barlean come together after performing their senior dance. There were only five seniors at the studio this year.

Madisen Paulson

Being a small town dance studio means having to travel to other cities to perform recitals and compete. Desiree’s Dancers typically has two recitals every year, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. Although this year happened a little differently, dance instructor Kayla Hollatz thought that it would be unique to have a Spring Spectacular instead of doing the usual two recitals in one day.

Admission for the show was $3 for students and $5 for adults, and more than 300 people attended the show. Parents of some of the dancers sold flowers to help raise money for the high school trip to New York City next year. Raffle tickets were also sold by dancers to also help raise money for the trip.

At the beginning of the Spring Spectacular, all of the dancers from preschool to twelfth grade performed the “Sea Us Dance” opener.

“We wanted to bring back a show to the David City Community. The studio still voted to have a big recital at a Performing Arts Center, but we also wanted to give the people in David City a show,” Hollatz said. “A show where they could come watch the youth of David City perform their dances in a fun and inviting atmosphere.”

The Spring Spectacular was hosted in the David City High School gym on Fri., Apr. 7, where 21 dances were performed, from preschool to grade 12.

“I have been in Desiree’s since 2001, and I am a senior now,” senior Allie Ingwersen said. “I had to give up a lot of my free time and also had to quit volleyball so I could dedicate myself to dancing. I am going to miss my instructors and some of my best friends now that the season is over.”

Preparation for the dance recital and even the Spring Spectacular takes a lot of time. High school dancers could be at the studio five plus hours a week, learning and memorizing their dances.

“I have been apart of Desiree’s Dancers for eleven years now, and I am currently involved in seven dances,” sophomore Kali Egr said. “I am at the studio about five hours a week learning and practicing dances. It’s always a good time being with friends outside of school and doing what we love most.”

Desiree’s Dancers in David City has been “keeping David City dancing since 1996.” With four dance teachers; Kayla Hollatz, Sara Dolezal, Chloe Kucera, and Juliana Pelan. They teach more than 150 dancers each year, it’s eight months of dancing each year from September to April.

“Every year I look forward to teaching new students and watching the older students passion for dance evolve,” Hollatz said. “I enjoy planning each year’s recital theme and dances while also meeting so many new people and teaching what I love most, dance.”

• David City dances together at first Spring Spectacular

2017 Alumni Dinner

State Track 2017

DCPS teachers say their goodbyes after 30 years of service

2016-17 School Year

Three Scout athletes earn spots at State Track

05.17.2017

Opinion

Column: Junior year blues

05.16.2017

Class of 2017 Graduation

News

Annual FFA Barnyard educates young students