March 2017 Students of the Month

Scoop Staff

Seventh grade: Maci Dion is the daughter of Tom and Theresa Dion of David City. Maci is involved in FCCLA and attends Bible study on Wednesdays. Outside of school, Maci enjoys babysitting and taking bike rides.

Maci sees herself as a good person because she is kind and is able to help people overcome rough patches in their lives. When receiving the news about Student of the Month, Maci felt accomplished and proud of herself. Maci sees herself as a leader because she is usually the first person to respond when someone is in need of help. She also believes her good grades and respectful attitude to everyone earned her way to seventh grade Student of the Month.

• How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? I just got a cookie from my mom and friends.
  • Are you usually the person pinching others or being pinched? I’m the one who does the pinching.

Eighth grade: Harley Eickmeier is the son of Kenny and Shelli Eickmeier of Bellwood. He is the only boy of five kids, with sisters Abby, Morgan, Lili, and Grace. Harley is involved in football, wrestling, track, and soccer. Harley likes to spend his free time in the wrestling room.

When Harley found out he was Student of the Month, he was surprised. Harley feels that he was considered Student of the Month because of his positive attitude toward helping others and because he gets good grades.

• How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? I don’t really celebrate it.
  • Are you usually the person pinching others or being pinched? Probably pinching others.

Freshman: Daphne Vizcarra-Navarro is the daughter of Erika Navarro Gallardo and Jorge Garcia of David City and has a 7-year old sister Regina. She is involved in volleyball, FCA, and recently made the cheer team. When she is not at school, Daphne likes to spend a lot of time with her family. Together, they go on walks with their dog and do outdoor activities.

Daphne feels she is a leader inside of school by trying to help people whenever she can, being responsible, and encouraging others. Outside of school she tries to keep being a leader by visiting her neighbors and helping them with whatever they need.

“I believe I am a good person,” Daphne said. “I am willing to make new friends anytime, I like being very social with everyone, I am very helpful, and I also try to be a positive person as much as I can so that I can cheer others up.”

• How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? I don’t really celebrate it, but sometimes I wear green.
  • Are you usually the person pinching others or being pinched? Neither. I don’t pinch others, and I don’t want to get pinched, so I wear green.

Sophomore: Morgan Eickmeier is the daughter of Kenny and Shelli Eickmeier of Bellwood. Morgan has four siblings, her older sister Abby, and her younger siblings, brother Harley, and sisters Lili and Grace. Morgan is involved in many activities inside and outside of school, including volleyball, track, wrestling student manager, 4-H, Nebraska Revolution Spring Training, and leadership.

When Morgan first found out she was Student of the Month, she was very surprised and happy. She thinks she was considered Student of the Month because of her good grades and attention in class. Morgan feels she is a good person and a leader because she is willing to help others, is nice, and sets a good example for others to follow. When she has free time, Morgan usually spends it with her friends and family.

• How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? Wear green
  • Are you usually the person pinching others or being pinched? Neither

Junior: Sarah Wolfenden is the daughter of Carmen Wolfenden of David City and is a sister to seven other siblings. She is currently involved in marching and concert band, One-Act, Speech, and has a job working at Runza.

Sarah was initially shocked to find out she was selected as Student of the Month but feels like she is a natural leader, and her ability to maintain a good work ethic helped her land the spot.

• How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? I don’t celebrate it. I got a cookie from Bethany (a friend), so that was kind of special.
  • Are you usually the person pinching others or being pinched? Probably the one being pinched because I don’t usually pay attention to the small holidays.

Senior: Brandy Barlean is the daughter of Sam and Angie Barlean of the David City area. She has one older brother, Ben, and a younger brother, Zack.  Activities Brandy is involved in include the DCHS Cheer team and the Platinum Dance team. Outside of school, Brandy is a dancer at Desiree’s Dancers. In her free time, Brandy is usually watching Netflix or hanging with her friends.

When Brandy found out she was selected as the senior Student of the Month, she said she was shocked.

“Mr. Ockander congratulated me, and I had no idea what he was talking about,” Brandy said.

Reasons Brandy thinks she was chosen are because she always get her stuff done on time and usually doesn’t complain. She also is willing to help anyone who needs it. If it’s in school, cheer, dance, or life in general, Brandy said she is always there for a helping hand.

• How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? My parents usually make Reubens, and that’s all we do.
  • Are you usually the person pinching others or being pinched? I’m usually neither.

• March 2017 Students of the Month

2017 Alumni Dinner

• March 2017 Students of the Month

State Track 2017

• March 2017 Students of the Month

DCPS teachers say their goodbyes after 30 years of service

• March 2017 Students of the Month

2016-17 School Year

• March 2017 Students of the Month

Three Scout athletes earn spots at State Track

• March 2017 Students of the Month

05.17.2017

• March 2017 Students of the Month

Opinion

Column: Junior year blues

• March 2017 Students of the Month

05.16.2017

• March 2017 Students of the Month

Class of 2017 Graduation

• March 2017 Students of the Month

News

Annual FFA Barnyard educates young students

March 2017 Students of the Month