January 2017 Students of the Month

Scoop Staff

Seventh grade: Jack McKay is the son of Kerry Sylvester of David City and Chad McKay of Osceola. Jack has two brothers, Drew and Henry, and a sister, Brianna. Jack is involved in almost every sport he can do, including football, basketball, wrestling, baseball, and track. Although Jack is occupied with sports most of the time, he likes to watch Netflix or T.V. in his free time.

“I wasn’t expecting it,”  Jack said when I told him he was selected for Student of the Month. “If I was going to be Student of the Month, I would’ve thought it would be at the end of the year.”  

Jack feels a quality that makes him a good person is his ability to make someone feel better when they are down, and he also thinks he is a good role model for others. Jack is a leader inside the classroom because he gets good grades, and he shows leadership outside the classroom by doing the right thing.

• If you had to (or already do) have a New Year’s resolution, what would it be? To be more organized with better time management.
  • What are you most looking forward to in 2017? New year, new people, new experiences.

Eighth grade: Dylan Vodicka is the son of Jim and Julie Vodicka of Garrison. His siblings are Daulton, Dahlia, and Daren. He is involved in football, wrestling, track, band, and FCA. Dylan spends most of his free time in the weight room, home, or wherever practice is held.

“I feel I am a leader in the classroom because I lead by example, and I also motivate others inside, but mainly outside, the classroom,” Dylan said.

Dylan feels he is a good person because he is not only kind and friendly, but trustworthy as well.

• If you had to (or already do) have a New Year’s resolution, what would it be? Keep all my grades above a 97 and get better in all sports and other activities.
  • What are you most looking forward to in 2017? The summer and starting high school.

Freshman: Madison Soukup is the daughter of Joseph and Michelle Soukup of Ulysses. Siblings of Madison include Sidney and Reese.  Activities she is involved in include FCCLA and band. Within FCCLA and band, Madison competes in STAR events and marching competitions. Outside of school, she likes to hangout at home or at her grandmother’s house.

When Madison found out she was selected as the freshman Student of the Month, she said she was very surprised. She thinks she was chosen because she is nice, caring, and helpful to others.

“I think I contribute to being a leader in the classroom because of my willingness to help people,” Madison said.

• If you had to (or already do) have a New Year’s resolution, what would it be? My New Year’s resolution would have to be to try new things and travel.
  • What are you most looking forward to in 2017? I am looking forward to what this year has to offer. I want to also travel more.

Sophomore: Madisen Paulson is the daughter of Jacque and Ben Letts of David City and Matthew and Krista Paulson of Michigan. Madisen has two brothers, Tristin and Colton. She is involved in Scoop and Stay-U at school, and she also works at the David City Discount Pharmacy. In her free time, Madisen likes to hang out with friends, watch a lot of Netflix, sleep, and work.

When Madisen first found out she was Student of the Month, she was surprised. Madisen feels she is a leader inside and outside the classroom because she participates in class and answers questions. She feels she is a good person because she is nice to others and funny.

• If you had to (or already do) have a New Year’s resolution, what would it be? Eat less watermelon Sour Patch Kids or watch less Netflix.
  • What are you most looking forward to in 2017? Going to the Florida Georgia Line Concert.

Junior: Haleema Rehman is a junior who lives in David City with her mom, Gulfam, and her dad, Fazal. She is the youngest out of six siblings with four sisters, Zenab, Sumera, Adeela, and Sara, and her brother Waleed.

Outside of school, Haleema likes to spend time with her family and work on some sewing projects on the side. She feels she was selected as Student of the Month because of her respect toward the teachers as well as getting her work done on time.

• If you had to (or already do) have a New Year’s resolution, what would it be? Probably to try to study more.
  • What are you most looking forward to in 2017? Going on vacation in Dubai.

Senior: Allie Ingwersen is the daughter of Wendy and Jesse Ingwersen of David City. She has two siblings: Jake and Evie Ingwersen. Allie is a member of the DCHS cheer and dance team. She also takes eight dance classes at Desiree’s Dancers in David City. She not only enjoys cheer and dance, but Allie also enjoys listening to music and hanging out with family and her “other half” Kennedy Hecker.

Allie considers herself a good person because she works well with everyone and is always willing to help others who struggle. She also loves throwing compliments and making people laugh. Allie works hard in school and continuously tries to be a terrific leader in her activities. When she got the news of her award, Allie was in shock because she believed there were other peers who could be chosen over her, but she was very grateful because she knew she had been working hard enough to deserve it.

Allie is a leader in and out of the classroom because she considers herself as an example to others by being the kindest person she knows. Allie is a very helpful person who enjoys making other people’s days better. She holds the qualities of determination and leadership.

• If you had to (or already do) have a New Year’s resolution, what would it be? I plan to apply for as many scholarships as possible and to also become more confident. Confidence is something everyone can work a little harder at.
  • What are you most looking forward to in 2017? I am beyond ready for graduation and starting a new chapter in my life. I will be attending Wayne State to obtain a communications degree.

• January 2017 Students of the Month

2017 Alumni Dinner

• January 2017 Students of the Month

State Track 2017

• January 2017 Students of the Month

DCPS teachers say their goodbyes after 30 years of service

• January 2017 Students of the Month

2016-17 School Year

• January 2017 Students of the Month

Three Scout athletes earn spots at State Track

• January 2017 Students of the Month

05.17.2017

• January 2017 Students of the Month

Opinion

Column: Junior year blues

• January 2017 Students of the Month

05.16.2017

• January 2017 Students of the Month

Class of 2017 Graduation

• January 2017 Students of the Month

News

Annual FFA Barnyard educates young students

January 2017 Students of the Month