Review: Madisen’s best and worst of 2016

Madisen Paulson

Madisen Paulson

The leap year flew by in the year of water bottle flipping, Daniel with the white vans, and even Pokémon Go. A year filled with new music, movies, trends, and memories that you may want to keep forever and some you may want to leave in 2016 came to a speedy end, as the world just rang in the new year.

Thinking about some of the movies I watched during 2016, there were a lot of good ones and some not so good.

By far, my most favorite movie of 2016 was Hacksaw Ridge. Desmond, the main character, showed that it was possible to be anything and achieve everything you want. He sacrificed his life to help others. The movie revealed what being a leader is really like, even through the toughest times. I’m not usually into war movies, but Hacksaw Ridge really stood out to me.

The movie Zoolander 2, on the other hand, I really disliked. Though the movie was funny, it was just a mess. Not only did the storyline make no sense, but it was also a ridiculous movie from the start. Because of this, the first Zoolander movie was ten times better than the second one.

Throughout the year, numerous trends swept across the U.S., and the “Mannequin Challenge” was the one that grabbed my attention the most. The challenge requires participants to freeze like mannequins in front of the camera while music plays in the background. This challenge swept across the nation late in the year as many groups of people published their version of the challenge to the web.

The Pokémon Go craze that many people went through earlier in the year was just outrageous. The app came out in early July and flew across the nation. In short, Pokémon Go is a reality based game that involves the players. It takes your location so you are able to walk around and “catch” Pokémon.

Music consumes the lives of many people, and it’s always evolving. New songs and artists are discovered each day. Though there was a lot of enjoyable music that was made in 2016, there were also a lot of irritating songs.

My all-time favorite song from 2016 was “American Country Love Song,” by Jake Owen.  The song came out early in 2016. It has an upbeat tune that everyone knows the words to.

“Work from Home,” by Fifth Harmony was a song I didn’t like as much. After listening to it for a while I just got annoyed. It has a good beat, but “work” is repeated too much like in the song “Workby Rihanna.

Whether it was an unforgettable year or one you just wanted to be done with, 2016 came to an end regardless. With 2017 now underway, new music, movies, memories, and trends will be created again.

• Review: Madisen’s best and worst of 2016

2017 Alumni Dinner

State Track 2017

DCPS teachers say their goodbyes after 30 years of service

2016-17 School Year

Three Scout athletes earn spots at State Track

05.17.2017

Opinion

Column: Junior year blues

05.16.2017

Class of 2017 Graduation

News

Annual FFA Barnyard educates young students