December 2016 Students of the Month

Scoop Staff

Seventh grade: Trista Detmer is the daughter of Jeff and Margaret Detmer of Weston. She has two older brothers: Logan and Grant. Trista is involved in volleyball, basketball, and track. In her free time, she likes to hang out at her grandma’s house or at home. She also enjoys spending time with her friends.

Trista was happy when she found out she was Student of the Month. She believes she is a good person because she’s nice and loyal to her friends. Trista thinks that those are also some reasons she was considered for Student of the Month, along with being nice and helpful in the classroom.

• How do you plan to spend your Christmas break? Spend time with my family and my friends.
  • What is your favorite Christmas song? “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas”

Eighth grade: Lauren Vandenberg is the daughter of John and Linda Vandenberg of David City. She has two brothers Nolan and Colin, and one sister Dana. She is involved in volleyball, basketball, track, FFA, and FCA. Outside of school, Lauren spends most of her time on the basketball/volleyball court, at home with her family, and hanging out with friends.

Lauren feels that what makes her a good person is that she tries to make everyone feel welcome and always tries to encourage everyone to do their best. When she found out she was Student of the Month, Lauren was very excited because she thought her leadership inside and outside the classroom helped others.

• How do you plan to spend your Christmas break? For Christmas break my family and some friends are going to Cabo San Lucas in Mexico for vacation.
  • What is your favorite Christmas song? My all time favorite Christmas song would have to be “Let it Snow.”

Freshman: Ethan Dietrick is the son of Myron and Sara Dietrich of David City. He has one older brother, Matthew.  Activities Ethan is involved in include baseball, track, and band. He plays percussion. Outside of school, Ethan partakes in baseball and Boy Scouts of America (BSA). In his free time, Ethan likes to play with electronics like the iPad or Nintendo 3D’s and also hang with friends.

When Ethan found out he was selected as the freshman Student of the Month, he said he was shocked and never thought he would be chosen. Reasons he thinks he was chosen are because of his willingness to help others if they need it and his effort to get to know his peers.

“I think I was chosen as Student of the Month because I always try my best with my academics, and I respect my teachers and my peers,” Ethan said.

• How do you plan to spend your Christmas break? I want to spend Christmas break getting closer to my family and playing some electronics too.
  • What is your favorite Christmas song? Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Sophomore: Ebani Filbert is the daughter of Dawn and Russ Filbert. She has one sister, Erica Mesman. Ebani is involved in choir, speech, and chess. She believes her honesty and reliability make her a good person.

When Ebani found out she was Student of the Month, she was very surprised. She thinks she was considered Student of the Month because of her good grades, and she always tries her hardest during class. She also feels she is a leader inside and outside of the classroom by understanding what’s being taught and helping others understand too.

• How do you plan to spend your Christmas break? With family. I might go see friends in Saint Edward.
  • What is your favorite Christmas song? “Hark the Harold”

Junior: Brooke Bell is the daughter of Joy Woita of David City and Rodney Bell of Bellwood. She has one sister, Kirsten. In her free time, she likes to spend time with friends. Along with everyday schoolwork, Brooke participates in band, FFA, Job’s Daughters, Speech, One-Act, and golf.

Brooke feels that her honesty, willingness to work hard, and ability to help out younger students led her to being chosen as Student of the Month.

• How do you plan to spend your Christmas break? With family as much as possible.
  • What is your favorite Christmas song? “Mary Did You Know?”

Senior: Josh Sturgeon is the son of Robert and Donna Sturgeon of David City. He has one older brother, Jared. He likes to stay engaged in school by participating in the One-Act production and golf. Josh also loves to keep busy outside of school with his hobbies including kayaking, fishing, archery, painting, and drawing. He also occupies a job at the local Ace Hardware in David City.

Josh said he likes to maintain a positive attitude and be creative. He spends his free time on his computer playing games and surfing the Internet. Some exceptional qualities Josh said he possesses are his kindness, respect for others, and especially, his humor.

Josh said that he was surprised and honored he was nominated again this year for Student of the Month. Josh said he tries to keep a good attitude and be a leader in class.

•  How do you plan to spend your Christmas break? I’ll go to my cousin Kassie’s house for our family Christmas.
  • What is your favorite Christmas song? I don’t really like Christmas music, but if I had to pick one I would choose “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year”.

• December 2016 Students of the Month

2017 Alumni Dinner

• December 2016 Students of the Month

State Track 2017

• December 2016 Students of the Month

DCPS teachers say their goodbyes after 30 years of service

• December 2016 Students of the Month

2016-17 School Year

• December 2016 Students of the Month

Three Scout athletes earn spots at State Track

• December 2016 Students of the Month

05.17.2017

• December 2016 Students of the Month

Opinion

Column: Junior year blues

• December 2016 Students of the Month

05.16.2017

• December 2016 Students of the Month

Class of 2017 Graduation

• December 2016 Students of the Month

News

Annual FFA Barnyard educates young students

December 2016 Students of the Month